Well, it’s been quite a few months since my last post on the blog! Things have been pretty hectic to say the least. We all made it to Scotland in one piece and although it took a few weeks, we also managed to find a dog-friendly flat! Our boxes should be here next week and then I’ll be able to show you my new workspace, but in the meantime, I got my hands on some Promarkers from one of the local art shops* and have been using them to add some colour to my sketches to try to get back into the habit again! Having a new pen or paintbrush seems to be great motivation to actually do some creating… just me?
Anyways, I decided to use a prompt from some of my favourite illustrators on Instagram and do my favourites for last month:
1. Chris’ “Special-Tea,” which is green tea with honey and lemon. I’ve been drinking loads of it since the same weekend we got everything sorted out for moving into the new flat, I promptly got very sick :( Now I’m just drinking it anyways, but it’s only good if Chris makes it, otherwise it just doesn’t taste right…
2. Scotch Eggs! I had my first Scotch egg from I.J. Mellis Cheesemongers and it was amazing! Traditionally they have sausage, but we got the ones with black pudding in them instead and ate them cold. The egg in the middle is from free-range hens and is the creamiest, buttery-ist egg I have ever had in my life. They must be the happiest hens :) So even if a Scotch egg isn’t for you, you can get just the eggs from the cheese shop too!
3. ‘Monstrous Regiment’ by Terry Pratchett. Chris had some books stored at his parents’ place and there were a few Terry Pratchetts in there. He recommended about four of them to me and I chose this one to read while I was sick (We still don’t have internet because they take their sweet time hooking it up here… so couldn’t watch movies). I love the clever, witty writing style and the “socks!”
4. Promarkers! My last blog post had the first page in my sketch journal. It was just in black and white and for a colour-addict that’s pretty boring :) So after watching some You-Tube reviews, I bought some Winsor and Newton Promarkers in a few different colours to try out. I have no idea how to use markers effectively, but they are already improving my sketches just by adding some interest with colour.
5. Having a bathtub again – which means going to Lush to get bubblebars and bathbombs! I got a few of my favourites and one I haven’t tried: the Lava Lamp. It turned both me and the bathtub purple… but it looked really cool anyways.
So those were my favourite things from last month. Looking forward to exploring more of Glasgow and finding some new favourite things to share with everyone this month – Happy first of October!
* speaking of which, I could only find two art supply shops in Glasgow, so if you’re from here, please let me know if there are any secret ones around!